Are you a parent of a child with special needs? Join VELA to gain hands-on knowledge, resources and support. VELA means (Vibrant. Empowered. Limitless. Able) - that is how we feel about YOU.
VELA’s Family Empowerment Program offers free hands-on courses, support groups, family fun days and supportive case management so that you, the caregiver, can become your child’s greatest advocate. Together, we illuminate ability for the child, family and our community. Our model is simple. VELA believes that you are the most important expert for your child-we are here to support you in supporting your child.
- Five different courses offered for caregivers. All courses are in Spanish or English and include childcare.
- All taught by parents of children with special needs.
- Interactive, safe and lighthearted learning environment surrounded by other parents.
- Build your Parent Toolkit to be used in meetings with doctors, special educators, therapists, family members and more!
- Opportunities to take care of YOU- practicing and learning self-care.
- Connecting to the most important community resources.
Monthly Support Groups
- Safe space to celebrate and share the ups and downs of parenting a child with special needs.
- Continuing to practice taking care of YOU.
Supportive Case Management
- Individualized support from our amazing social worker.
- Meet 1:1 to further explore resources, services and supports.
Family Fun Days
- 4 Saturdays per year for play for all abilities.
- Enjoy amazing theme-based activities such as LEGO parties, Mad Science, Super Heroes and more!
- Become a Family Fun Day Sponsor!