special education course for families
Special Education can feel confusing, overwhelming and isolating. So many acronyms, paperwork, and meetings. Through VELA's interactive 5 session course, you will become your child's greatest advocate. Join VELA to gain knowledge, empowerment, resilience and community. You can also check out other course options and/or register for support group.
We look forward to meeting you in person on or the screen!
This course is for families whose child has an IEP, not a 504 plan. If you have a 504 plan and would like more support,
you can contact us for Case Management Services.
What to Expect:
- This course meets 1x/week over 5 sessions; you must be able to attend each session to register.
- Our Courses are not webinars! Instead, they are interactive, engaging and an opportunity to learn, share, receive and give support.
- Mailed Materials- If you are registering for our virtual course, we will mail course curriculum to you.
- Our Course Facilitators are parents, just like you. That means they lead with empathy because they get it.
- Meet other parents and learn from each other!
- Build a Parent Toolkit to organize your child's school, therapy and medical information- and learn how to use this as a tool.
- Understand the most important parts of your child's IEP ( Individualized Education Plan)
- Learn what to do before, during and after an ARD meetings
- Learn and practice how to use assertive and collaborative communication
- Learn about Special education Law
- Learn about key resources and how/when to access them
- Learn and practice real self-care strategies for yourself
Virtual Course Schedules:
Option 1: 11/3 - 12/8/21 meets for 5 consecutive Wednesday Mornings, 10am-11:30am on Zoom
Option 2: 11/3 - 12/8/21 meets for 5 consecutive Wednesday Evenings 6-7:30 pm on Zoom